Summer is just around the corner, and with the beautiful weather, it is time to enjoy the many benefits of sunshine and fresh air. At Spring Hills, there are several outdoor activities for seniors, designed to provide ample opportunity to spend time with friends and family, meet other assisted living residents or home care recipients, and simply enjoy being outdoors.
Outdoor Recreation and Senior-Friendly Summer Activities
Staying active and spending time outdoors provides seniors with physical and psychological benefits on many levels:
- Breathing in fresh air helps clear the lungs and allows seniors to take in even more oxygen. More oxygen means more energy and a clearer mind.
- Chemicals called phytoncides are released from plants and trees, shown to lower blood pressure and decrease the amount of cortisol – a stress hormone.
- Sunshine is an excellent source of vitamin D, which reduces the risk of certain diseases, such as osteoporosis, multiple sclerosis, and type 1 diabetes. In fact, half an hour in the sun can provide seniors with nearly a day’s supply of vitamin D!
- Up to 15 minutes of sunlight, especially in the morning, has been shown to promote energy throughout the day by naturally shutting off the body’s melatonin, a sleep chemical.
- Sunshine has been known to increase the level of serotonin – a feel-good, “happy” chemical – in the brain. This is especially beneficial for our memory care recipients.
At Spring Hills assisted living facilities, there are many summer activities for seniors available through our Signature Programs. At the benefit of our entire community, residents and home care recipients alike can participate in:
- Put your green thumb to work with therapeutic gardening classes
- Enjoy a morning or afternoon stroll among our well-cared for gardens
- Enjoy the day with friends and family during any one of our picnics, gardening days, and other outdoor events
Beautiful Assisted Living Facility Grounds to Promote Outdoor Enjoyment
In line with the holistic Spring Hills approach to wellness, the beautiful grounds of the facilities – with their fantastic greenery, flowers, and outdoor seating areas – were specifically designed to promote health and happiness as well as accommodate ongoing outdoor activities for seniors. Spring Hills proudly provides a beautiful and healthy environment to really take advantage of the summer months.