Spring Hills Signature Dining Recipe – Smothered Chicken
At Spring Hills Senior Communities, we aspire to exceed the expectations of our assisted living residents and their families. With our farm-to-table, holistic approach to senior living, we understand that sharing a meal is one of the most important times of the day to relax, be social, and get the nourishment the body needs to be healthy. Our Spring Hills Signature Dining Recipe is made from the freshest ingredients from our community or tower garden and is sure to be winner! Try this delightful dish at home!
Recipe By: Mabel “Chefy” Prado – DDS in Lake Mary / Corporate Chef
- 16 ounces chicken breast halves – cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ounce garlic – minced
- 6 ounces mushroom pieces
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ teaspoon salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the chicken and sear both sides until browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside, leaving the browned bits in the bottom of the pan.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until soft, 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the margarine, melt, then add the flour and stir to combine. Cook for 30 seconds.
- While whisking constantly, pour in the heavy cream and milk. Bring the sauce to a simmer and continue whisking until the sauce is thickened. Add the salt/pepper and parsley.
- Nestle the chicken breasts in the sauce and spoon sauce over them to cover. Return the sauce to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Serve immediately garnished with some fresh chopped parsley.
Serving Suggestion: Serve over brown rice.
Nutritional Analysis: Servings: 4: Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 596 Calories; 47g Fat (70.8% calories from fat); 26g Protein;18g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 156mg Cholesterol; 388mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain (Starch); 2 1/2 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 1/2 Non-Fat Milk; 7 1/2 Fat.